Monday, March 4, 2013

Wood Grain DIY


 Although we moved into a "luxury" and "custom" Town home, real wood doors were not part of the package.  I have always loved the warmth of wood grain and dark stains so I really wanted to add this texture to my home.  It took me about an hour per door and an hour per room for the baseboard trim. It was well worth the effort and I love the results.  


 It's very realistic and I frequently have people take a double take, or not notice at all that they are not real wood doors.
It is done in layers as shown below with the first layer, allowing the previous layer to show through to create that depth. 

I used multiple colors to create depth.

 I even did a weathered wood look in my downstairs bathroom that I love the effect of.


 If I were to do this professionally I would probably charge $80-$100 per door and $100 per 300 sq feet for baseboards.  I have no idea how much other professionals charge to do this.  I like to tell people who ask, that I paint each line by hand with an artist brush.  I'll just let everyone think that for now!
 
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment