Monday, March 11, 2013

A Little Gray Chair

I found this chair at the Deseret Industries second hand store. I loved how unique it is.  It's so wide and squaty, plus I secretly love cane, but it had the most hideous, golden orange, scratchy, dingy upholstery.  I put it away in my garage, for what I fear was more than a year... I just didn't want to have to strip all of those complicated parts.  While out finishing up some other furniture in chalk paint, I saw this little chair stashed over in the corner and thought, I should just paint it in chalk paint! Chalk paint easily goes right over old finishes with no striping.  
 It took 2 1/2 coats of paint to cover the old finish.

 It's a nice, quality chair, with a nice springy seat. 
 I'm guessing this chair to be at least 40 years old, and the cane is in amazing condition.  

 So I painted the whole thing gray and white washed over the cane a little as well.  

 I highlighted the details on the legs and instead of doing piping (ain't nobody got time for that) I did a pleated ruffle with nails. I love it. It's a unique and functional finish.

I love it! It took me several days to decide that I could, possibly, maybe, depart with it and put it up for sale.  How much would you sell it for? 
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment