Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Classic Style Fried Chicken

I'm no southern lady, (unless being from Southern California counts) but boy do I know how to fry up a delicious piece of chicken.  It's one of those things in life I just couldn't live without.  I think we all agree that chocolate is number one, and for me, fried chicken runs a close second.

Here is my recipe:
Begin to heat coconut oil in a pan or deep fryer.  You need enough to cover the chicken but not too much that it will bubble over when you put the chicken in.



 You will need buttermilk and Season Salt. I would recommend my recipe for it here. I cultured my own buttermilk from raw milk, but you are not expected to go so far.
 Place a few chicken tenders, or pieces of chicken breast cut to that size, in plastic wrap.
 Pound the chicken so that it is all approximately the same thickness, this will promote even cooking and tender juicy chicken.

 Pour your buttermilk in a bowl.

 Toss your chicken in to the buttermilk and coat each piece. Leave it there until you are ready to dredge it in flour.
 Mix one cup of flour with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of season salt.  I highly recommend my recipe or it may be too salty or not seasoned enough.
 Take a buttermilk coated piece of chicken and place it in the bowl.
 Using a fork, I cover the chicken in the flour.
 Then I gently pat it down, flip it over and gently pat the other side.

 Nicely coated and dry.
 The oil bubbles when I throw a little buttermilk and flour in there, it is ready.
 Gently place a piece of chicken in the hot oil.

 It should vigorously bubble and boil.
 My oil was about 325, it was not hot enough.  350 F would have been better.  Don't crowd the pan, it will lower your temperature and make your coating fall off.
 Here are two finished pieces of  golden brown, crispy, melt in your mouth chicken.
 I couldn't even wait until I was done cooking to eat one... or two...  It was so buttery, moist, crispy and had an unbelievable flavor you do not get by frying with eggs and milk.

 TIPS:
-Use fresh not frozen chicken.
-Use a deep fryer or a thick pan like cast iron.  It will keep the temperature better.
-Don't bother using a raw or virgin oil. It will obviously get really hot and then it wont be raw anymore.
-Don't eat this too often if you like your current dress size.
-This same recipe makes amazing buffalo wings.  Just add the hot sauce after.
-If you want it to taste more like chic-fil-a, add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar.
-Don't substitute the coconut oil. It is healthy and more natural, plus it can take the heat better without turning into trans-fat.


No comments:

Post a Comment