Monday, February 18, 2013

Pace Family, TV Stand Revival Part 3

I spent the evening sanding and sanding and sanding.  I don't strip pieces that are going to be painted a solid color, unless the paint I'm going to paint over is in seriously bad shape or I want to stain. In the case of this piece, it was not in bad shape at all.  However, it needs to be sanded to create a surface that the new paint can bond too.  The drawers look kinda shabby chic here...
After letting my sanding arm rest for a few hours I started my priming coat.  I just used a latex, interior white, with a primer in it.  I coated the entire piece, plus all the doors and drawers until I ran out of paint.  I really focused a lot on the top, since it is raw wood and would soak up quite a bit of paint.
 Do not forget your interior spaces. It looks very amateur to leave the inside of a piece the original color, especially if it will be seen. Painting inside where the drawers go is really not necessary.  You can see below the paint is less transparent as I do layer upon layer of paint.  I like my paint to be a nice even coat, and I do a lot of them. At least 3 or 4 coats, and even more in high traffic areas like corners, tops and shelf tops.


 The drawers are going to be a creamier shade of white that will accent the bright white of the structure of the piece.  It looks awesome just sitting in my garage next to each other. I can't wait to get that first drawer in there and see how it will come together.
 I had to tip the piece on its back to get to this weird toe kick space on the bottom. Don't overlook any detail that will bother you or someone else once it is in the house and being used.  A few more coats on that toe kick and then a nice coat of a water soluble, non yellowing, poly-acrylic.   This baby will be done by Wednesday and ready to grace the Pace's home by Friday.  You must allow time for all the layers of paint to fully harden and dry. There is nothing more sad, than spending days on a piece and rushing to use it and ruining your finish.  
Before and after:

Sad, laminate top before
Gorgeous, solid wood top after

Black, drawers before

Creamy white drawers after

No comments:

Post a Comment